Lions colts 19 Nuneaton Colts 15

The Lions Colts succeeded in overcoming a powerful Nuneaton side on Saturday to progress to the Semi Final of the Warwickshire Cup in what was a very physical game and where the team played their ‘game of the season’.

Nuneaton, unbeaten all season and playing regularly on Saturdays, was a force to be reckoned which included several top County and Worcester Academy players.

The Lions squad, only playing their sixth game of the season due to being in a Sunday league where four teams folded, school commitments and players missing to the senior squad, came from behind and emerged as a true team in every sense of the word.


Warming up to bright sunshine the players were looking forward to playing a wide and expansive game but as the whistle blew for kick off the weather had turned. The team started at their usual ‘thousand miles an hour’ standard and were soon in the Nun’s 22 with massive numbers spare but minor errors caused valuable turnovers for the visitors. Nuneaton pushed ahead with a dominant driving lineout which the lions found it hard to cancel out and fell foul of the ref with their first of three yellow cards of the day. But even with a player missing the team held out on the 5 metre line.  The game settled into a high temp with possession going back and forth.

Chris Easton opened the scoring with a try from the back of a scrum after Ash Moore had committed defenders and offloaded to Easton. Nuneaton hit back with an unstoppable driving maul and scored just before half time.


The second half was a different game altogether. Rugby took control, not only of their discipline but with outstanding territory kicking by Josh Cooke, Chris Easton and Oli Jones. The Lions pinned the Nuneaton driving maul to the corners of their own half and the forwards began to get on top of the collisions, with their defence stopping any Nuneaton attack. The Lions scored again from an overthrown Nun’s lineout which Dharam Devgun collected and crossed the line. However, the current defending champions would not relinquish their crown so easily and scored once again through their powerful forwards from a rare visit to the Lions 22 in the half. Rugby scored again, mid-way through the half from a quickly taken penalty by Captain Chris Easton. Then it was a true team effort, every tackle, every pass counted as the clock ticked down. Nuneaton threw everything they had at the Lions, but small mistakes and big hits stopped them in their tracks and as the final whistle blew it was relieved Chris Easton who said “We altered a few things at half time which changed the momentum to us, it was the best game management I’ve been involved in. Everyone played with so much heart, it was great to a part of it.” Man of the match Devgun added “It was a really physical game, but we’re so pleased with the result, the boys really played for eachother to the end.”


The Colts next game is the semi final Vs Silhillians away on the 5th April


The team was especially grateful for the support they received and would like to thank everyone who came to watch.


Team: Max Tailby, Phil Whyman, Jake Scott, Connor Deery, Tom Branston, Ash Moore, Durham Devgun, James Was, Chris Easton, Josh Cooke, Aaran Martin, Paddy Forde, Sam Hartley, Adam Jones, oli Jones, Danny Hunter, Brogan Hartney-Mills, Jake Fuller, Liam Deery




Change The Background

Dark Grey
Red & Black
Grey & Black
White & Black